Sunday, October 25, 2015

Smuggler's Notch, Vermont

Mother Nature can be a very finicky being and she always does what she wants, when she wants. This is why if you are traveling to Vermont between the summer and winter season the best you can do if looking for fall foliage is keep your fingers crossed and have alternate plans on the agenda. It’s a good chance the leaves have changed and fallen, but don’t worry there are a boat load of other things to keep you busy. That is, if you like hiking, eating, sightseeing, and searching for moose. Having never been to Vermont I was thrilled beyond wonder and couldn’t wait. Driving through the Adirondacks was exciting but once we crossed over into the mountainous countryside, my heart rate escalated, my fingers twitched wanting to take pictures and my nostrils flared as I inhaled the crisp cool clean air. After all there were covered bridges to find, cheese and ice cream to eat and any moose would do. I had no idea there was also maple wine and apple cider donuts. First stop, Smuggler’s Notch, resort to unload and grab a bite to eat. The magic didn’t stop until I stepped back into my house in Virginia a week later. Smuggler’s Notch is surrounded by magnificent mountains and encased in history. It got its name sake in the early 19th century when the forest, caves and trails were used to smuggle, hide and transport illegal goods across the Canadian border. It was also used by bootleggers during prohibition. Is this why Vermont is known to distill some of the best vodka in the world? Hey, I’m only saying. This is what the vodka man said. I didn’t get a chance to try any. I was too busy drinking some of the best apple cider my tongue has ever tasted and eating apple cider donuts. I’m having a foodgasm just thinking about it. Whether you love ice cream or not, the Ben and Jerry’s ice cream factory is a must. Don’t forget to visit the grave yard, were flavors go when they die. Cabot cheese and Lake Champlain Chocolate, yummy! Vermont is a foodie’s paradise. Even the local grocery where we shopped surprised us with the best homemade chicken pot pie a mouth could eat. However, nothing and I truly mean nothing was better than the apple cider and apple cider donuts… 5 star foodgasm! And did I mention covered bridges! Covered bridges! Covered bridges! We took a day. You should take a day. And find the covered bridges. There were seven in our area and yes, we found them all. Gotta be careful though, some were not longer functioning and some were tucked away and we almost missed them. We had a map. If you add up the days with the sites with the food it would equate to ultimate vacation spot. I can’t wait until I return. Maybe next time for skiing.

No comments:

Post a Comment